nanog mailing list archives

RE: Would anyone be interested (SQL/Bind)

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:01:30 -0800

From: Steven J. Sobol [mailto:sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 5:44 PM

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, David R. Conrad wrote:

I might point out that BIND version 9 comes with a
Postgres/SQL sample
"simple database interface" driver that permits the storage
of DNS zone
data in a Postgres/SQL database.  Zone data is extracted
from the database
per query (the data does not need to be extracted and BIND
reloaded).  If
the DNS load is too high to support SQL queries on a
per-DNS query basis,
using a stealth primary would most likely work.

I'll take a look at that. It might be a good idea to make it
modular, if
it isn't already modular[0], so that people could create
"plugins" that
work with other databases. Personally, I'm going to see how
much work is
involved in porting the code to MySQL, since I don't use Postgres.

If "other databases" include Oracle 8i, I might be interested. Might as well
put it on a production-ready DBMS.