nanog mailing list archives

Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () cybernothing org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:08:23 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, John A. Tamplin wrote:

I don't know where the official ICANN ruling is on this, but I recall
seeing it discussed in a number of places at the time.  Let me know if
you can't find a reference, and I'll see if I can dig one up.

Personally, I would hope that the rules would be the same as if you were
trying to start a new business or magazine with the name in the domain
name (I am making no judgement on how close UDRP is to that ideal).  By
that criteria, I am sure that if you tried to start a company or magazine
named "Walmart Sucks" you would hear from their lawyers and they would be
equally successful.

Parody and criticism are protected under trademark law(although those
rights are being eroded quickly.)