nanog mailing list archives

Re: Loose Source Routing

From: John Hawkinson <jhawk () bbnplanet com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:22:10 -0500

Now, LSRR is _expensive_.  Modern routers handle packets with options in
hardware, and doing IP options in hardware is not cheap.

Conveniently, not very many of them are sent.

(BTW, what other options are actually used? :)  IMO, prohibiting IP
options altogether would be a good idea (and don't ask me about
fragmentation).

I use the timestamp option sometimes.
And the record route (no source routing) option.

I do suspect that I'm one of a very small set with respect to the
former, however.

As for debugging routing - isn't it much better to ask OFRVs to add
remotely accessible traceroute servers to their boxes? There is no
engineering or economic justification for diagnostic fucntionality like
LSRR to stay anywhere close to the fast packet path.

While this might be nice in theory, I think that it would be a political
nightmare to deploy. Thus leaving us with the status quo.

It also has nasty state implications.

--jhawk