nanog mailing list archives

Re: Exodus Down

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () netmore net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:28:33 -0700

The number of registrars queried depends upon your whois implementation.

These various 'blah sucks' things in whois are old news.

My guess is that they're having some sort of network infrastructure
difficulty
(router, switch, load-balancer) or a disk farm outage or somesuch.

Occam's Razor.

Dee McKinney wrote:

This from the SuSE Linux mail list may help :-)

Forwarded message from "Lewis E. Wolfgang" <wolfgang () nosc mil>

Something is definitely rotten here.

Whois reports:

   Server Name: SLASHDOT.ORG.SUCKS.COMPARED.TO.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG
   IP Address: 24.240.60.16
   Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
   Referral URL: http://www.opensrs.org

   Domain Name: SLASHDOT.ORG
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS1.ANDOVER.NET
   Name Server: NS2.ANDOVER.NET
   Updated Date: 13-jun-2001

I've never seen whois report two registrars, especially one that says
"SLASHDOT.ORG.SUCKS.COMPARED.TO.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG"

I also noticed that traceroutes to both slashdot and freshmeat went
through 64.14.80.154, then stopped at that point.

I'd guess that some cracker broke something somewhere?  Maybe a
DNS crack?  Maybe Andover went bankrupt and pulled the plug
on us?  Maybe Micro$oft is behind this?

It sort of illustrates the hazards of having all the open-source
eggs on one server farm....

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang