nanog mailing list archives

RE: Multicast Traffic on Backbones

From: "Deepak Jain" <deepak () ai net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 22:43:54 -0400

I think I should have been more clear.

When multicast enabling a network, am I wrong in assuming that the routers
will only multicast to their direct, end-user connections and peers (like an
access router will only offer streams to its direct connections)? I am
trying to figure out what advantages multicast-enabling a backbone has when
the majority of customers are not multicast-peers of their upstream routers.

Thanks,

Deepak Jain