nanog mailing list archives

RE: engineering --> ddos and flooding

From: "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:08:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 02:08:52PM -0400, Matt Zito wrote:

Sorry but IMESHO null routing a /32 during a DoS attacck
doesn't exactly
strike me as engineering. It is more like dealing with the attack in
real-time. To mean engineering would mean desinging networks
to be resistant to DDoS and flooding in the first plsce.

Giving the customer the option to have their announced prefix null routed
internally is a powerful value add that fits in right along side giving
them other controls like preference and prepending. Usually this is passed
as a community tag, and good networks give their customers these controls.

To that end no NSP should ever allow spoofed IP addresses outside of
their network. (not just RFC 1918 addresses but valid IPs that don't
belong to that NSP)

This guarantees nothing.

Two NSPs should rate limit DoS traffic (ICMP & SYNs) within their
networks in such a way that it can never DoS a T-1 (or E-1 if you are
not in the US). [note: I'm not sure if ciso's are up for this workload
since I primarily work with Juniper.]

Bad plan. Then a single t1 worth of attack can effectively stop all icmp
or syns from passing through.

Rate-limiting ICMP is not so difficult - rate-limiting SYNs is
basically useless.  Syn floods work not because the amount of traffic
they do, but because they fill up state tables or make them so
horribly inefficient as to make the box cease responding on that port.
Given that, say, a linux box has a default queue depth of 128, I can
send 128 spoofed SYNs at a rate of one a second, and in two minutes
that box will stop responding.  The larger you make the queue, the
longer it will stand up to a slow SYN attack, but the more costly each
incoming SYN and SYN+ACK becomes, as the data structures become more
and more unwieldy.

Wrong, and very much out of date.

I didn't write all this down to waste my breath...

http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/projects/dos/dos.txt

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras