nanog mailing list archives

Re: 95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

From: <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:41:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

In case this is unclear, AboveNet was the first to do 95th percentile,
and UUNet was the first of those who have since followed in Dave Rand's
footsteps.

Huh? My recollection is that UU was doing 95th back in 94 or so.

They definitely were.  At my first ISP job, we had a usage based UUNet T1
that was billed according to 95th percentile traffic...but once you
started using much of a T1, it was cheaper to just switch over to their
flate rate "full T1" pricing.  This was back when you could run a small
ISP and take a full news feed on a single T1 and not fill it.

--
 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |