nanog mailing list archives

Re: telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

From: "Wojtek Zlobicki" <wojtekz () idirect com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:03:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roeland Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
To: "'Charles Sprickman'" <spork () inch com>; "Jared Mauch"
<jared () puck Nether net>
Cc: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>; <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 5:59 PM
Subject: RE: telnet vs ssh on Core equipment , looking for reasons why ?

From: Charles Sprickman [mailto:spork () inch com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 9:41 AM

6) Finding a unix ssh that supports 3DES and DES.

I curse those OpenSSH folks for making me have to trudge
through the code
to find out how to get DES working...

6a) Finding a release on CCO that supports 3DES.

You are probably aware, but EFF published the DES crack. I understand that
it is  now an issue of cracking DES in less than 12 hours. 3DES is better
but it only amounts to DES with a 128-bit key.

Definitely a limited shelf-live.

I don't see why we even need to discuss some of these issues to this length.

Telnet = Bad = Plain Text
SSH = Better = Some Sort of Encryption (A Decoder Ring is Still better than
plain text)