nanog mailing list archives

Re: The large ISPs and Peering

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:25:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

There is a fundamental business here in that ISP's are _required_ to
do business with each other in order to make the Internet work as users
expect.  ISP's will always have business ties to each other, in the
form of paid/free transit/peering.  Making that go away makes it all
cease to work, completely.

I have to point out an interesting similarity between Big Oil and Big
Telecomm.

The Oil and ISP industries are the only two major industries I know of
where your biggest competitors are quite often also your biggest
customers.

In the oil industry, you see it all the time with the company-owned retail
stores versus the dealers - but who do the dealers buy from? Right.

It makes for some rather interesting business relationships, IMHO.

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO - sjsobol () JustThe net

Donate a portion of your monthly ISP bill to your favorite charity or
non-profit organization! E-mail me for details.