nanog mailing list archives

Re: How many ISPs are out there?

From: <up () 3 am>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:06:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Philip Smith wrote:

At 09:21 24/07/2001 +0000, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

how many active ASN's are there?

and minus the other multihoming networks...

Hmmm, and looking at the list of ASNs it's pretty hard to work out which
are ISPs and which are not.

And then what about those ISPs who don't have an ASN...

I would hazard a guess that numerically, far less than half of the ISPs
have ASNs.  We only got ours a few months ago, and out of curiousity, I
pulled out the local Yellow Pages and started doing whois's on ASNs.  I
found that only one other ISP (much larger) based out of Bucks County, PA,
appeared to have an ASN (out of approx a dozen total).

I'd guess that about a third of the ISPs are multihomed, and less than a
third of those have an ASN.

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up () 3 am                                                          http://3.am