nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advanced Countermeasures to prevent a Ddos

From: Basil Kruglov <basil () cifnet com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 00:22:13 -0500

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 07:22:28AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
It all hinges on your upstream ISPs.  The things to ask for are:

- SYN and ICMP rate limiting:  If you buy a T3 from your upstream, you
should ask that they place on *their* peering routers and on the router
facing you, Cisco rate limits of about 512kb/sec of ICMP and about
128kb/sec of SYNs.  Pay extra if need be.

512Kbps for ICMP? I'd go for 128Kbps if not less.

TCP/SYN - 128Kbps ? ;) 128Kbps is way too easy... do it per hot box/ip.
It will take just one or two modems to take you down, as an example
someone portscanning your network.

Ask for hot [potential] targets only: ircd, shell systems, router interfaces.
Do it per box, plus same rules for all of your router interfaces heading the
big bad 'Net. Just make sure you have a proper deny ACL not to rate-limit BGP
traffic during life attack.

Before placing something permanent you need to adjust and play with this.

- anti-spoofing: require your upstream ISPs to implement full anti-spoofing
for incoming packets.  That includes RFC1918, unassigned IANA blocks and
(as a minimum) IP anti-spoofing on all single-homed customer links (Cisco
ip verify unicast reverse-path)

Sounds good. check 'ip verify unicast source reachable-via any' as well
http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/documents/uRPF_Enhancement.pdf
new uRPF works if you're multihomed too.

- BGP community: Your upstream should allow you to announce a BGP community
for any sub-prefix in your IP block (meaning he has to not be strict in the
length of the prefix you announce to him since it can change dynamically)
that will me ROUTENULL, which means they eat the packets for you.

Sounds good.. too good to be true. Any Tier1 or "Tier1.5" does this? ;)

Find 2 upstreams who will agree to the above 3 items and you are 99% safe
from dDoS.

And I can still take you down with

1. tcp fin
2. tcp psh
3. tcp rst
4. tcp ack
5. tcp urg
6. tcp frags
7. udp
8. ip frags

I don't know but somewhy I doubt you'll find an upstream to do ~10 rate-limits
per your hot stuff and another ~10 for router interfaces. If you do manage to
get this setup from upstream you'll be somewhat "99% safe from dDoS". Kids
can and most likely will find a hole to take you down, just takes time.

-Basil