nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone using Cingular wireless? (IXO/TAP number request)

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () civicnet org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:43:55 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Alan Clegg wrote:

I've recently moved to Cingular Wireless (formerly BellSouth Mobility DCS
in this area) for "all of my wireless communication needs".

They are, however, unable to offer me information regarding an IXO (or TAP)
number that I can use to send text pages from a "regular old modem".  I've
used qpage and hylafax previously (with another paging company), and would
REALLY like to get this working (since GMS works amazingly well down in the
RF hole where I live).

I believe it's <phonenumber>@sbcemail.com - with phonenumber in 10digit
format (e.g. 2025551212 () sbcemail com). At least that's what works for the
Cellular One system in Greater Boston.

If anyone has contacts with Cingular, or knows where I might find more info
(I've done web-searches, and the best I've come up with at this point is
http://www.qpage.org/phone-numbers.html which does not list BellSouth DCS
*OR* Cingular [but does list some of the other companies that are now
part of the "Cingular family"]), please let me know.

They seem to be working on their new web site - a lot of info that was on
the old Cell One site isn't there any more.

The Center for Civic Networking             PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &              Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program                          617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman () civicnet org                           http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"