nanog mailing list archives

RE: How common is lack of DNS server diversity?

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:10:34 -0800

From: Tony Rall [mailto:trall () almaden ibm com]
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 10:54 AM

MS DNS, WinNT4 and below, have broken search algorithm
implementations.
DDNS, Win2K, is currently untested.

Search algorithm?  I thought we were talking about making
full use of the
dns server list - i.e., if first server doesn't respond try
the next one in
the list.

I think, *that* is called a search algorithm. Try it at root level, with
WinNT, you'll find that it doesn't work. Better yet, try it with BIND8
(*nix, of course) too, and compare the results.

If your test doesn't produce the same results, please send test-plan,
scripts, and methods to me. I'd be very interested.