nanog mailing list archives

Re: Proactive steps to prevent DDOS?

From: Alex Pilosov <alex () pilosoft com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:42:20 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Adam Rothschild wrote:

What's to prevent high-visibility shell/IRC/web/etc servers (read:
DDoS targets) from announcing their netblocks to their upstreams, and
Read: DDoS targets which bring no cash revenue, essentially loss-leaders.
That doesn't quite work when ebay.com is being DDoSed (uh, guys, we
fixed the problem, you can now browse, but, sorry, we withdrew the route
to our production server to accomplish that).

This doesn't need to be a costly endeavor.  Zebra is perfectly stable
when receiving no routes, and announcing a couple of networks at the
most.  You'll find that lots of folks who have legacy class C (or B
even!)  and AS number assignments they're not currently using, dating
back to before the ARIN charged for such things, are more than willing
to transfer/lend them to you when you ask politely.  Don't believe me?
Try it sometime.
Tried that, didn't have much luck. Possibly, eventually, when we'll have
clearinghouse for IPs, and most likely old swamp IPs would have far higher
valuations than just regular PI netblocks...

-alex