nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS availability

From: richb () pioneer ci net
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:24:14 -0500 (EST)

Christian Nielsen <cnielsen () nielsen net> wrote:
ultradns does this and has a great product.

Interesting to read the faq on UltraDNS's website:

Q. I read that your service is supposed to make use of several servers
all over the world, but you only give people two server addresses to
provide to their registrar. How do I make use of all the other
servers?

A. The two server addresses you supply your registrar when you set up
a domain on the Managed DNS Service system are actually 'virtual'
addresses that will route to the best possible server on our network,
based on a number of factors. This highly intelligent mechanism allows
you to achieve full redundancy and reliability with only two name
server addresses actually listed. In fact, if the registrar would
allow you to do so, you could achieve the same level of reliability
with only one name server address.

Looks to me like most of their hiring lately has been in marketing
and business-dev.  How could an engineer make statements like the
above with a straight face?

Or maybe there have been a few extensions to BGP which I haven't
learned about...;-)

-rich