nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft spokesperson blames ICANN

From: <poptix () sleepybox poptix net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:26:46 -0600 (CST)

Sorry, I read his post after someone mentioned Akamai, somehow my brain
crossed the two and I responded to this one, I'm well aware of the
limitations that lack of internet connectivity impose on DNS servers =)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

At 02:08 AM 1/25/2001 -0600, poptix () sleepybox poptix net wrote:

 >www.microsoft.com is already a CNAME for www.microsoft.akadns.net, aka,
 >Akamai =)  (Didn't I hear microsoft touting it's wonderful clustering/load
 >balancing features in W2k?)

<simple statement of fact which everyone prolly already knows>
Please note that if you cannot get a reply from the authoritative name
server for [domain].[foo], you cannot be given the CNAME for a host.
</simple statement of fact which everyone prolly already knows>

(No comment on the reliability of Windows is intended.)

 >            -poptix

TTFN,
patrick