nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft spokesperson blames ICANN

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:17:15 +0800

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

[ On Wednesday, January 24, 2001 at 13:09:45 (-0800), Roeland Meyer wrote: ]
Subject: RE: Microsoft spokesperson blames ICANN

From our efforts, it is not at all surprising that someone, at MSFT, munged
the DNS configuration, totally. Even their best guru could have done it, due
to the murky nature of the config. I suspect that there are less than 100
ppl that could even have a clue, in this area, and they don't all have the
same pieces of clue.

That's absolutely idiotic (of M$, that is !;-).  Even more idiotic than
putting all their nameservers in one basket, so to speak.

I'd bet any high-school kid who had any experience whatsoever at
installing Linux or FreeBSD could no doubt blow a real OS and a native
BIND install onto any sufficiently capable set of four machines in about
an hour or so and provided that someone could cough up at least a
half-baked zone file from somewhere to load on them they'd all be online
and answering to the registered nameserver IP numbers in no time flat.
Certainly in less than what's apparently going to be at least 23 hours
now!

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

* I bet any high school kid setup Linux or FreeBSD box will probably die
  under the load of M$'s zones - the default out-of-the-box config
  is nice, but not *nice*.
* You have no idea whether M$'s DNS servers are serving static zone
  files, back ended to a database, talking to a mapper of some sort,
  whatever.

As someone mentioned, there are things such as maintenence windows which
explaining to management you need to break can sometimes be painful.

That said, I think it being dead for 23 hours is a little strange, but
then we don't know the exact story so we could be pointing the blame
at exactly the wrong place(s).

Adrian