nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadwing Fiber cut, El Paso, TX

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 23 Jan 2001 20:10:36 -0800

On Tue, 23 January 2001, Nathan Stratton wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
    Broadwing is working on repairing a fiber cut in El Paso, TX.
Their master ticket is 3677, with a current ETA of 6 hours.

    Expect lots of down-haul connectivity.

I have several L3 DS3s that are down, so much for SONET and the fake DLRs
they sent me.

Its always interesting to see what works and what doesn't during these
events.  As is usual, what happens between providers is the real test of
the "Internet."

PSI seemed to be toast from almost everywhere.  AT&T, C&W and Genuity had
some bottlenecks between each other, alhough they were fairly speedy within
their own networks.

Level 3, Sprint and UUNET worked well, although Earthlink's name servers kept
timing out on me.

The most popular commercial web sites appear to have enough alternate
paths, so they didn't appear affected.  I did notice a bit of difficulty
in some banner ads loading, and other web page fillers.  Which leads to
an interesting problem for web site owners.  Your own content may load
quickly, but the user will be watching the spinning icon on their web
browser for a long time.