nanog mailing list archives

Re: Favorites (Re: UUNET peering policy)

From: "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:07:36 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 05:39:41PM -0700, Danny McPherson wrote:

And often enough, I've seen MEDs result in worst-exit routing.
That is, routing that was intended to be better than closest-exit
(aka. hot-potato), but turns out to be far worse than best-exit
(I believe some refer to this as cold-potato *8^/) because an
adjacent AS in unable to correctly convey the optimal entry point
into their AS via MEDs, be it because of GOOD aggregation, or
uncluefully derived MED values.

I believe Avi Freedman would call that "mashed-potato" routing.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble