nanog mailing list archives

RE: multiple origin ASes

From: abha <ahuja () wibh net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:06:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dima...

One of the origins :) of inconsistent routes is improper multihoming --
a network is multihomed but no public ASN is assigned to it; some private
ASN is used and stripped off (by remove-private-as) at the edges of
the both (or many) ISPs, which results in multiple origin ASs for the
network prefix. I don't know how intentional this practice is, though :)

Yeah.  I know about that origin of inconsistent ASes.  I'm more curious
about other creative occurences...

Thanks!

-abha ;)

The question about how bad inconsistent routes are was also addressed
on this list.
--
dima.