nanog mailing list archives

RE: NetSol Bulk Whois

From: Richard Welty <rwelty () vpnet com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:24:06 -0500

Nicholas Bastin <nbastin () opnet com>
Anyone noticed this lately when they do a dump in whois?

(47) bulk_whois_optout: N|

Anybody know when this became an option?  (And can we charge
NetSol for
the amount of mail we receive between when we submit the change order
and when it actually gets done?)

i'm not sure when it actually started, but it was recently discussed
on another mailing list.

From:
PRIVACY Forum Digest     Wednesday, 14 February
2001     Volume 10 : Issue 03

(http://www.vortex.com/privacy/priv.10.03)

Excerpt:

If you don't want to participate in NSI's bulk/marketing
bonanza, you'll need to avail yourself (*now* that you'll
know about them) of their opt-outs. Buried within their
privacy policy it says that you can send notes with the
text:

remove bulk access

or:

remove domain

respectively, in the subject lines of e-mail to:

privacy () networksolutions com

with a list in the body of the message detailing the
domains (for which you are the registrant) that you wish
to opt-out.

It is not detailed how such requests are authenticated,
nor is any particular format for the lists specified.  If a
human is reading those requests, they're likely to be
getting pretty busy very soon!