nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSU finally plans to fix their open relays!

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:40:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

After years of having tons of SPAM go through their servers, knowing about
it and refusing to close their open relays, OSU has decided that perhaps
they want to be able to send email and not have it bounce with a MAPS or
ORBS message.

They flat out admit that they had their servers set as open relays
INTENTIONALLY in the following release:

http://www.oit.ohio-state.edu/newsroom/openrelay.html

Typical of the attitude of many universities towards spam in particular,
and security in general. It IS about time. I don't appericate our[0] taxes
being used to support open relays.

Not that I don't appreciate this greatly but, OSU: It's about %^#%^&#
time!

They're only doing it to get off blacklists. I guarantee it. I've seen
some recent exchanges between the anti-spam community and a few large
Midwestern colleges (specifically, Washington University and the U of
Illinois at Chicago) where people requested that relays be closed and
received a LOT of static for doing so.

Cheers, SJS.

[0] "Our" = "Ohio residents'"

--
Steve Sobol, BOFH, President    888.480.4NET 866.DSL.EXPRESS 216.619.2NET
North Shore Technologies Corporation   http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net