nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Flash help needed

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () darkwing uoregon edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:32:33 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Simon Lockhart wrote:

Anyone know if there's already something like this for NT? :)

No - although now I've done the work of working out the format, I'm sure
someone will do it.

What exactly is the purpose anyway?  Extra storage?  If so, how fast can
the labtop write/read to the flash?

The purpose is to avoid having to use tftp to get files on/off the cisco.
The laptop can read the cards at the same speed as the cisco.

What is the biggest size of a flash
anyone ever seen?

The biggest I've got is 20M

the biggest I've seen from cisco is 24MB

I only saw 110M card before.

I think you get up into the PCMCIA hard drives at those capacities.

the biggest ata-flash cards (type II pcmcia) are around 800MB right now

http://www.simpletech.com/flash/ata.html

While we are on the subject, is there way to look at the source code of the
cisco ios?

Yes - go work for Cisco ;)

Simon

--
Joel Jaeggli                                   joelja () darkwing uoregon edu
Academic User Services                       consult () gladstone uoregon edu