nanog mailing list archives

Re: microsoft

From: Tim Wilde <twilde () dyndns org>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:24:27 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Christopher A. Woodfield wrote:

What you're seeing is MS using Akamai's Edgesuite service. Basically,
www.microsoft.com CNAMES to www.microsoft.akadns.net, which resolves to
the "closest" Akamai server to the source IP on the DNS query. That box
caches the content from the *real* www.microsoft.com, and serves it up.
Nice concept, and a helluva lot easier to implement on the end user side
than FreeFlow, IMHO...

No, I'm pretty sure that this is a third distinct service, not EdteSuite
or FreeFlow - I know it as nothing but AkaDNS, it probably has a "real"
name - if you traceroute to those servers, you'll see that they're actual
Microsoft servers.  Look at that, versus, say, www.segway.com, which is on
EdgeSuite:

www.segway.com.         3600    IN      CNAME   www.segway.com.edgesuite.net.
www.segway.com.edgesuite.net. 21600 IN  CNAME   a1758.gc.akamai.net.
a1758.gc.akamai.net.    20      IN      A       209.185.188.10
a1758.gc.akamai.net.    20      IN      A       209.185.188.107

Notice it's on edgesuite.net, not akadns.net.

Tim Wilde

--
Tim Wilde
twilde () dyndns org