nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Cisco Release Of Goner Worm Raises Eyebrows" (Newsbytes)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:54:40 -0500

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 03:11:29 GMT, Hermann Wecke <hermann () rodeios com>  said:

isn't it easier to stick a procmail recipe into the NANOG mail system
dropping double extension files and other highly dangerous extensions,
such as .scr, .lnk, .com, .dll, .pif and others???

Well.. that's closer than trying to restrict it based on size.

It's still wrong though, because the filtering *should* be done based on
the MIME type.  Of course, the whole *problem* here is that malware is
able to wave its little digital arms, hop up and down, and say:

"I'm a text/plain called whoops.exe - of course it's safe to run me,
who ever heard of a malicious text/plain?!"

Personally, I'd recommend a controlled burn, except that we've been having one
every 2 weeks already.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst