nanog mailing list archives

Re: resolved Re: should i publish a list of cracked machines?

From: Kevin Houle <kjh () cert org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:41:42 -0400

--On Thursday, August 23, 2001 12:39:21 -0400 Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org> wrote:

my suspicions and some things to look for:

- boxes were comprimised using the buffer overflow in telnetd
(speculation)

The CERT/CC is aware of some level of automated exploitation of
the recently described telnetd vulnerability. If folks have yet
to patch systems for that particular vulnerability, it would be
a good thing to spend time doing. We've seen it used to deploy
DDoS-capable tools, for example.

More info on the vulnerability at:

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/745371

Kevin