nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routescience?

From: "Christopher A. Woodfield" <rekoil () semihuman com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:30:20 -0400

Can/will the box adjust inbound route selection via the use of prepending
and/or provider communities?

-C

Once more, we do not cause the stub AS's own advertisement of themselves
to change.  We specifically avoid touching locally originated prefixes.
If the ISP is currently accepting any of the routes PathControl is
designed to change, then the AS is not stub, it's transit.  Hopefully
this clarifies an important issue.

(Referring back to Paul Vixie's point, we have found that careful
optimization of a single outbound step has very substantial payoffs in
terms of the end to end, bidirectional performance.  The figures quoted
on our web page and in the press release refer to this: end to end
application speedup caused solely by outbound route selection!)

Mike

--
Christopher A. Woodfield                rekoil () semihuman com

PGP Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB887618B