nanog mailing list archives

Re: wanted: wireless magic tricks

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:34:28 -0400

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 01:28:46PM -0400, Greg Maxwell wrote:
I just ran some quick numbers, and a unlicenced 20mile link like that
would be possible, but I wouldn't sell it.:

1.75mw -> 36dBi antenna -> freespace -> 36dBi antenna -> reciever + mis
losses, has an EIRP of about 3.9 watts (legal).

You'd have about 15db of link margin, and that's much too little for a
reliable link IMO.

That's why I suggested two 10 mile links. :-)  There are a large
number of people in the 10-14 mile range with reliable links, and
very few people pushing further.

That said, some guy in NZ got around 35 miles as I recall using
off the shelf parts.  It no doubt exceeded FCC regs though, but
that's not an issue for him.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440