nanog mailing list archives

Re: NOC servers with public/private ip address

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:01:23 -0400

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:40:12 EDT, "Christopher A. Woodfield" said:

If you're talking about assigning RFC1918 space to router interfaces that
transit traffic, a la @home, keep in mind that this can break PMTU-D, and
makes for messy (and slow) traceroutes when external hosts try to resolve
unresolvable reverse DNS entries.

If you're talking about giving the workstations in your
NOC private IP addresses, using NAT to access your core routers, I see no
more a problem with that than I do with people using home DSL routers that
utilize NAT.

There are those who would say using a NAT on a DSL router is evil. ;)

A better solution would be to have your NOC, your status monitoring
systems, your routers, your switches - all connected to a private
subnet without using NAT.  The LAST thing you want in the middle of a
crisis is trying to debug a NAT problem ;)

Whether to number your management network with a /24 out of RFC1918
space, or a /2something out of your own address space, and how heavily
firewalled/isolated to make it, will depend on your paranoia level and
how it balances against ease-of-use concerns - if you have a fully isolated
management net, it's more secure, but a bitch to fix things from home ;)

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst