nanog mailing list archives

Re: Code Red growth stats

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:18:16 -0700

"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

In message <EA9368A5B1010140ADBF534E4D32C728025AB1 () condor mhsc com>, Roeland Me
yer writes:

[snip]

Are you taking into account that every copy of Win2K comes with IIS? I had
to quickly run around and do upgrades yesterday. I clean forgot about the
workstations. I bet that I'm not the only one either.

Are you sure about that?  Or rather, are you sure it's on by default?
I just checked my toy desktop machine and rebooted to the other
partition of my laptop, and didn't see it running on either.l  To be
sure, I'd have turned it off if I knew it was on, but I have no idea
how to do things like that on Windows...

I am absolutely sure that the default for a workstation is NO IIS. I have
two. They exist as victims, what else, and they are not running anything of
the sort. I'm going to have to purchase one of those damnably expensive
win2k server 5-license copies, just so that I can have the new fingerprint
(hey, I only break my own machines for free).

There is absolutely not an install of IIS on win2k Pro, unless you put it
there.

Oh, and I DO know how to do things like that on windows (but prefer not
to).

--
Does anybody else think that W2K actually is doing
what Y2K only dreamed of?