nanog mailing list archives

Re: MultiBind Testers Wanted

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:10:32 -0500

Once upon a time, Paul A Vixie <vixie () mfnx net> said:
However, the product name is protected.  "MultiBind" may be an infringement
of ISC's rights to the BIND product name.  In any case, this derivative of
ISC's work is not sanctioned or approved by ISC in any way, and in fact
ISC's long-held position is that any proposal involving "multiple root
networks" is nothing short of domain piracy and also violates the DNS
protocol.

Would you care to elaborate on the "protection" the ISC has on the
"product name" (I assume you mean "BIND")?

I just looked at my 8.2.2 and 8.2.3 sources and I don't see anything
beyond the license.  I also don't see any mention of such protection on
the ISC web site (without digging into it anyway).  I can't even find
the license on the web site.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>