nanog mailing list archives

Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell () martin fl us>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:27:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Eric A. Hall wrote:

Actually, the last I heard is that they will sell down to a /24.

No. See http://www.arin.net/regserv/feeschedule.html

"The minimum block of IP address space assigned by ARIN is a /20."

Also, they don't have any special-case handling that I am aware of. I
tried to get a private /24 to use for the topology examples in my books
and couldn't get one. ARIN outright refused the request even though I
could prove the need for it, and even though I didn't care about global
routing or reachability.

I was also told that any /24 that I might manage to acquire would be
revoked instead of transferred to me.

I honestly believe that ARIN is funded by stock ownership in NAT provder
technologies. They are the primary reason that we have NAT and RFC 1918
problems on the net everyday.

No, thats really not fair. I'm probably more of a NAT hater then most
people here, but I can't agree with that.

The reason they don't allocate /24's is because without aggregation the
Internet is not scalable. Perhaps they are being too agressive, but the
reasoning is sound.