nanog mailing list archives

RE: availability and resiliency

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () MHSC com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:30:12 -0700

It refers to the percent uptime of a host or site. 99% is two "9"'s
(2x9?) and 99.9% is three nines. Getting a single host to meet more than
three nines (99.9%) can be a challenge ( <8.76 hours outage, per year),
but can be more easily met with multiple hosts in a site. Four nines
(99.99% uptime, <0.88 hours annual downtime) is extremely difficult for
a single host, less difficult for internal data centers, and (given lots
of $$$) a bit easier for a internet site (using multiply redundant
hosts). Five nines (99.999%, <5.26 annual minutes down) is almost
impossible for a single affordable host to meet. This is where we enter
the world of High-Availability (H-A) systems. These are usually high
transaction flow critical systems and are found in large corps, telcos,
and reliable internet sites. At this time, only governments are willing
to part with the required cash to build systems meeting six nines
(99.9999%, <0.53 minutes annual downtime), or better (NASA, NORAD, US
Space Command, etc). Usually, this is done using multiple site
redundancy.

Hosts meeting three nines, or better, typically have redundant power
supplies and integrated UPS, bootable RAID for the OS, redundant NICs,
and SMP CPU configurations.