nanog mailing list archives

Re: Port 139 scans

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:57:47 -0700

Dana Hudes wrote:

Yes but in the past few days activity has stepped up tremendously.
Where my webserver, which uses Samba to communicate with my local
desktop win98 machine (the latter is client, no shares exported)
used to get once in a couple months an attempt on port 139 now I
have 45 / day.

I also use Concentric. I have seen a huge upsurge in 139 scans, and
whenever I connect to the magic port (7597) for curiosity's sake, I get
the prompt that shows it's infected. It isn't your imagination. Before
someone comments on the fact that these are natural, I will state that I
log everything, all the time, and the upswing has been recent, and
dramatic. From a natural 2 or 3 an hour, I have seen it surge to

Furthermore, they're overwhelmingly from customers of my upstream --
Concentric. A handful from @home and others. I reported this to
Concentric with the log.smb file in the message. No response 3 days
later.

I am wondering which address you mailed this to. I am aware that there
is at least one person from concentric (or nextlink) that reads this
list, so that may help. I've engaged portsentry, specifically looking
for those machines that I see that are infected with a variant of the
notepad trojan (and thanks to ken lindahl for posting that link to NAI,
so that I didn't have to go guessing for which port was the magic one).
I will be emailing concentric later this evening, with a list of
machines that I have verified as containing the trojan. I usually have
good response from them, but haven't really tried an email since they
combined with Nextlink.

.shrdlu

--
Modems connected to LANs are your friend.

                -kmart