nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:23:09 -0400

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 04:18:30PM +0100, Morgan Dollard wrote:

I disagree, IPv6 is already significantly being deployed in the Inernet2. So
far though that is only used by University and research orgs, kinda like
Arpanet was in teh begining. Significant new applications are being deployed
for it specifically, and great innovations are taking place. Eventually,
that will replace the Internet as we know it today, and IPv6 will be
implemented, unless someone comes up with anything better, which isnt that
unlikely.

The Internet as we know it took 30 years to come to everybody, and it was
providing something that essentially wasn't provided before.

Internet2 provides the same thing, only faster; so why do we believe it will
replace the existing solution *EVER*, much less in a shorter time frame than
30 years?

The Internet is going to be with us for a very long time.  Emphasis should be
on fixing it, not replacing it.