nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why did we do CIDR? (RE: Confussion over multi-homing)

From: Brad <brad () americanisp net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:30:05 -0600 (MDT)

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:46:31 -0400
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Why did we do CIDR? (RE: Confussion over multi-homing)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 02:50:07PM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
If folks are going to deaggregate the addresses and announce multiple routes
anyway, why are we going through the pain of ARIN policies.  Wouldn't it be
better to allocate the appropriately sized address in the first place?

      Yes, it would.  It would seem ARIN should allocate small blocks on
a trade-in only policy.  You can get a /24, but when you go to a /23 you
_will_ renumber, and soforth up to a /19 or so, at which time when you need
more you get an additional prefix.

      That way you limit it to 1 route per ASN for small players, and
everyone can multihome.

One route per AS would be nice, however, renumbering every
time additional space is required is just not possible in
some cases.
It seems every time I turn around, I find myself requesting
more address space, and according to ARIN policies,
demand=supply (ie, if you can prove you have a need for it,
you will get it).

Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org

---
Brad