nanog mailing list archives

Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

From: Thomas Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:14:18 -0400

smd () clock org wrote:

| The bottom-line appears that everyone is waiting for everyone else to
| twitch first, then the shoot-out starts. However, no one is all that
| interested in twitching.

Also, nobody is willing to get shot!

The deployment of IPv6 is going to be EXPENSIVE in terms of real opex
and probably real capex as well, it IS going to be visible on the bottom
line of every ISP on the planet, eroding whatever margins one has.

I can't see the deployment of IPv6 *ever* leading to any but the
shortest-term revenue upside (if even that), therefore until the
entire aggregate gross revenue of transit-providing ISPs up and
down the entire food-chain is threatened, nobody will be deploying v6.

The only alternative scenario I can think of is the deployment
of IPv6 by a large provider who believes it can trigger a huge
consolidation by pushing smaller ISPs it is competing with into an
expensive deployment through sheer hype.

<snip>

        Sean.

What about wireless IP? Isn't everyone supposed to be forced to adopt IPv6
once billions of mobile units start using it ?

http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2590226,00.html

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   T.M. Eubanks