nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: mike harrison <meuon () highertech net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 07:46:15 -0400 (EDT)

When we are deciding that IP savings, etc are worth it, why not make all
Cable/DSL/Dialup providers use NAT to map access logins to a small pool of
IPs too? The software to do that transparently is already available for a
very high percentage of applications. Heck, even upstreams could then NAT
their downstreams' pools of IPs. We could run the whole internet off a
single class C again.

We have been NATing a large percentage of our customers for years
with great results, even delivering email behind the NAT by using
a relay mail server. When I am scrambling for IP space and my requests
for a portable /20 or even a portable /24 are denied, and cable/adsl..
providers put obtuse end users on live IP's.......
The security and hacking problems alone make this a good idea.

This is a far bigger problem I fear than web hosting. Most of us
use Virtual Hosts for many good reasons already, only WinNT is a pain
to setup for virtual hosting, and even it works. --Mike--