nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traceroute versus other performance measurement

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:17:22 -0500

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:07:59 EST, Paul Bradford <paul () adelphia net>  said:
I need help with a reality/sanity check.   Traceroute is a good tool for
checking for routing type problems (loops).  Does anyone feel it's a good tool
to use for testing "bandwidth"....  My obvious answer is it isn't a good tool

Well, if you're looking at the numbers, and hops 1 to 12 are each adding
3-5ms to the RTT, and between 12 and 13 you get a hit for 400ms+, that tends
to indicate a *possible* problem (or a satellite link ;)

I'd not trust it any further than that, however...
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst