nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Real Operator"

From: John Fraizer <nanog () EnterZone Net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:43:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, JIM FLEMING wrote:

In my opinion, "real operators" pay careful attention to the basics, such as
quality of service, up-time, performance, true "end-to-end" IPv4 transport,
etc. The consesus here seems to be that NANOG is a group of hobbyists
with no "policy rudder" to steer them in a direction where the O implicitly
stands for "Real Operator". The Real Operators that I know have told me
that NANOG no longer cares, in other words, it is not like the old days.

I guess this is what happens when "operators" can not agree on how to
process the first 20 bytes in a packet header, in a consistent manner,
without
breaking things after the fact.

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp

Jim,

PLEASE give it a rest.  If you don't like the practices of a particular
operator, that's fine.  NANOG isn't the place for your to bitch and moan
about it though.

I would venture to guess that this group of so-called "Hobbyists" has a
customer base several million fold that of your own.

If you don't want someone dicking with the TOS field of your traffic, I
have a suggestion for you:

Set up your _OWN_ global backbone!

I just checked.  ALLKNOWINGFRUITCAKE.NET is available and would be very
appropriate.

As for the "Real Operators" that you know: I notice that you did not
mention them by name.  I'll bet that you have their undieing grattitude
for that.

We're _ALL_ sick of your whining.  Have the past five requests for you to
lay off escaped you?

GO AWAY YOU NUT!  WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!  WE NEVER DID!

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc