nanog mailing list archives

[Fwd: Re: Optical Crossconnects and IP]

From: Andrew Bender <abender () thrupoint net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 11:26:57 -0400

Vadim Antonov wrote:
I would like to inject some sanity into the traffic engineering
discussion by reminding about some small fact of life:

    Nobody knows how to measure how what the demanded/available bandwidth
    ratio is when the circuit is overloaded.

I think the point of TE is to avoid overbooking in the first place,
and also calculate a suitably assured protection path. (or just build
for the busy hour, of course)

What it means that by and large traffic engineering is done by seat of
the pants.

May be so, but at some point every business will be accountable to
operating cost. This is the hallmark of a mature sector in a commodity
market, in fact.

PPS Pluris core technology allows to treat traffic as a liquid - unlike simple
    IP routing it works by splitting aggregated streams, which can be sent
    along different paths.

Not by hashing flows I hope. Otherwise, I suspect that non-Newtonian
CFD per macroflow can't possibly be a time-complexity win over the
"simple" MCF optimization problem... :P

Regards,
Andrew Bender
thrupoint.net