nanog mailing list archives

Re: Napster and others...

From: "Scott McGrath" <s_mcgrath () bexair com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:48:25 -0500

I am a corporate end user so the common carrier exception does not apply to
me and the intellectual property demon does.

re: ORBS I got those addresses from my traffic analyis on where the MP3 traffic
was coming from and I apologize to the list and it's members for not checking  who
the block belongs to. I  have no desire to add fuel to the ORBS controversy.

Internet access has become critical to many business processes and we need to
come up with mechanism to allow traffic like MP3 to fill slack in our networks
however in my case I need to ensure that bandwith is available for the purpose
for which it is purchased for. If Napster and it's ilk were well written
applications
I could create custom queues for it and discard  when necessary like I do for non
business related web traffic rather than my current heavy handed ACL's If anyone
on the list has a alternate method I would appreciate hearing about it and my
users would love me for giving them back access to Napster and other music sites.

Apologetically - Scott