nanog mailing list archives

Re: government eavesdropping

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter.galbavy () knowledge com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:05:22 -0000

For years I've been telling people that while there was some risk
that traffic on the Internet could be intercepted, that the risk was
greatest at the ends of a connection and that as long as they were
working with a reputable ISP that there was almost no risk that
anyone was eavesdropping on the traffic from the more central
networks.  I've also been telling people that data "at rest" on disks
or stored in servers is much more at risk than data "in motion" as it
moves across the Internet. Have I been misleading people?

What does everyine think those silly lead times for local tails (especially
in Europe) are for ? Menwith Hill (sp?) et al. needs a nice schedule of new
capacity so that it can be planned in. Even Telefonica cannot actually take
3 months to really provision a tail circuit.

Peter