nanog mailing list archives

Re: DVB/IP from teleglobe (and/or others)

From: Jon Mansey <jon () interpacket net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:29:31 -0700

Jim,

InterPacket Networks offer IP/DVB services to our 650 customers in over 100 countries.

The logistics of allowing each customer to put a firewall of their own at the satellite head end are problematic to say the least.

Please appreciate that we push many many customers traffic onto the satellite carriers using our diverse upstream connectivity. There is no single point on our network we could pick off just your traffic and filter it.

Its like asking UUnet to put a firewall in their core just for you, forget it.

How much bandwidth are you looking for via satellite?

jm
http://www.interpacket.net

i have a client that is looking to use DVB/IP to blast ip packets into various
geographic areas.

DVB/IP is basically piggy backing ip packets on Digital Video Broadcast
satelite signals, allowing the end-users to collect the packets with a
rather inexpensive receiving dish.

the end-user will need some normal method of sending their packets out,
typically via dial-up into a local ISP.

this is nothing new, direct PC/ hughes have been doing it for a while, although
i don't know if they are/were using DVB/IP, but a similar set up.

teleglobe markets a service where they will advertise some subnets on your
behalf, take the incoming packets and spew them into the areas you are looking
to go.

when investigating this, i initially thought it was great.

i started discussing issues i had, like how it would be a good idea to have the
ingress of the DVB/IP network-wise close to the client's internet egress.

this would reduce some of the problems of asymetric routing.

i also pointed out, that it would be a good idea to have some kinda system
in front of the DVB/IP so that you could do some level of firewalling against
DoS attacks and such.

i then found out that teleglobe makes no provision for the customer to
filter the packets before they hit the DVB/IP uplink.

the best they offered was to allow an out-of-band (ie. almost paperbound
procedure) configuration of an access list on their router.

are their any other DVB/IP providers who will allow my clients to install
a firewall/filter box in front of the DVB/IP uplink?

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim () reptiles org              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]