nanog mailing list archives

Re: RADB and building router filters

From: Jeff Haas <jeffhaas () merit edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:18:02 -0400

[responding out of order]
On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 04:43:43PM -0400, Jim Mercer wrote:
should i be requesting that the entry from UUNET be removed?

It is always a happy thing to ask the db-admin to remove crud from
the database.  If uunet.ca is no longer originating this route, it
should be removed.  Mail to db-admin () radb net will quickly resolve this.

However:

i'm running into difficulties getting my routes announced via networks
that use the RADB to build their filters.

Critical piece of info.  N.B.:

i'm being told that some of my routes are being ignored because there are
supercede'ing entries at whois.radb.net.

for example, "whois -h whois.radb.net 198.96.117.0" contains two entries:
      route:         198.96.117.0/24
      descr:         NETBLK-TORMAN
      origin:        AS813
      mnt-by:        MAINT-AS813
      changed:       support () uunet ca 19950920
      source:        RADB

      route:    198.96.117.0/24
      descr:    Reptilian Research
      admin-c:  JM7718-ARIN
      tech-c:   JM7718-CSAS
      origin:   AS843
      remarks:  in use by Reptilian Research
      remarks:  parent is ARIN
      notify:   jim () reptiles org
      mnt-by:   MAINT-AS843
      changed:  jim () reptiles org 20000527
      source:   CSAS

Providers that build filters from IRR data are likely doing this from
local copies of the various repositories.  These mirrors may be real-time
or taken from the snapshots on the FTP space.

At a guess, said "filter" is likely because the ISP in question isn't
mirroring the CSAS repository.

[ Jim Mercer                 jim () reptiles org              +1 416 410-5633 ]

--
Jeffrey Haas - Merit RSng project - jeffhaas () merit edu