nanog mailing list archives

Re: Running BGP4 on a Core Router

From: Jesper Skriver <jesper () skriver dk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 05:20:04 +0200

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 07:49:37PM -0400, HANSEN CHAN wrote:

Hi folks,

I was hearing that typically BGP4 is run on all routers inside a POP,
including access routers connecting to customers, border routers
connecting other ISPs and core routers connecting to other POPs in the
same network.

I can understand why BGP4 is run on access and border routers. But
running BGP4 on core routers is beyond my understanding. I thought you
don't need to run BGP4 on core routers which are considered to be
interior nodes.

Can someone shed some light on what is the benefit of running BGP4 on
the core routers?

If these routers run "normal" ip routing you have to, as each router
does a lookup of the destination ip address of each packet, and forward
it accordingly.

If you run MPLS, you don't have to, as it uses labels to get to the
next-hop router.

/Jesper

--
Work:    Network manager @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)