nanog mailing list archives

RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

From: Karyn Ulriksen <kulriksen () publichost com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:23:54 -0700

Do you think that the car thief scenario comes into play here?  Maybe an
alarm system wont *really* keep a determined thief from stealing a car, but
isn't he more likely to move onto something easier?

And, yes, I do understand the mentality of the "bigger challenge".  But,
I've been able to identify the true source of a forged packet and filter it
knowing that they could switch to attacking from another IP.  However, I
think only once or twice out of thirty or so incidents over the past few
years have they come back in anytime soon from anywhere else.

Karyn