nanog mailing list archives

RE: mail does bounce (was: Customers down?)

From: owen () dixon delong sj ca us (Owen DeLong)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 12:22:41 -0800

I think I like it better that way. Just because both nameservers are
temporarily down doesn't mean the domain doesn't exist. :P

Seems to me you're talking past one another. If all nameservers for a
domain are down there *is* no nameserver which can say that the domain
is authoritatively non-existent. (OK, you could get a negative caching
answer from one of the authoritative servers on the level above, but
that's a different issue...)

I agree with Greg Woods - if a domain is authoritatively non-existent,
I'd expect a sane mailer to bounce the message.

I'm glad that you don't write code, especially sendmail code.

I'm hoping that some clarification of terms will kill this thread...

There is a difference between the following terms:

Authoritatively Non-existant domain:
        A domain for which the servers authoritative for the parent
        zone report that the domain does not exist.

Unreachable Authoritative Servers:
        A domain which exists and posesses a delegation in it's
        parent servers, but which authoritative servers are
        currently not reachable.

The former is regarded as a permanent error and mail is immediately
bounced by every mailer I know of.

The latter is a transient error and is treated as such by sendmail.
I would hope it would be treated as such by other mailers.

Owen