nanog mailing list archives

Re: inter-NOC communications (was:Re: Definition of Congestion)

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:39:20 -0800

On 01/31/00, dave o'leary <doleary () juniper net> wrote:

Attempts to "standardize" inter-NOC communication happened a couple of
times in the early 90's in the IETF, but it got too ugly, with too many
barriers (basically people not wanting to expose dirty laundry).  I fear
that attempts to do so now when the providers are *really* competing with
each other (as opposed to back in the old daze when we were all
friends :-) will suffer the same fate, other than on a pairwise basis between
NOCs that cooperate well with each other anyway.

        Those of us who are willing to communicate with each other
        should go ahead and write up a BCP, because the folks who're
        scared to admit that they're fallible won't follow it anyway.

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cybernothing org> =========---------
  | "One computer is a problem.  A computer network is a large problem.  |
  |  The internet is the world's largest problem."                       |
  |                                   -- Douglas Warren                  |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----