nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

From: Paul A Vixie <vixie () mibh net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 13:04:42 -0800

I don't have much of a problem about Abovenet having a policy of not
allowing spam across their network, as you say it is theirs.  What is bad,
however, is that Abovenet still advertise the prefix surrending hosts they
block, blackholing these hosts for their BGP mutilhomed customers -

this is pretty hard for abovenet to fix, since no router i'm aware of is
able to take in a /13 from some customer, blackhole a smattering of /32's
inside of it, and only send the remnants of the /13 to its downstreams.

what MIBH does, as a transit customer of abovenet among others, is to take
an RBL BGP feed just for the purpose of route-mapping all of its contents
toward one of our other transit providers.  (MIBH is the transit provider
for MAPS, among other things, and MAPS has web servers which *must* be able
to be reached by people listed on its RBL.  is that funny, or what?)  i
agree that this is painful, and if it were my network i'd find some way to
let abovenet's multihomed customers automatically avoid abovenet for things
which aren't going to work.